[fpc-devel] ARM native compilation (Toshiba AC100)

Thomas Schatzl tom_at_work at gmx.at
Thu Sep 22 12:23:14 CEST 2011

 Hi,

 On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:26:13 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Sven Barth wrote:
>> Am 21.09.2011 22:45, schrieb Henry Vermaak:

>>> To get this to work, you'll have to revert to revision 18269, build
>>> the compiler, then use that compiler as a starting compiler to
>>> build
>>> trunk.  This worked for me.  I don't know how the fpc team deals
>>> with
>>> this normally.
>> Compiling the trunk compiler is only supported when using the latest
>> release (currently 2.4.4) as a starting compiler.

 That is a known issue with 2.4.4 that it does not compile trunk with
 optimization turned on. There seems to be a bug that has been existing
 for a long time that has been triggered by code changes in 18230; the
 ARM compiler is not as well maintained as others.

 I think 2.4.4 definitely builds when specifying -O- as extra build
 options though. I am working on it, however I fear that -O- will need to
 be set for some time.

 @henry: thanks for finding the revision when compilation broke.

> Which, stating the obvious, is difficult when the available binary is
> stuck at 2.2.2.

 As others already mentioned there is an official 2.4.4 release.

> I got from there to 2.4 via (I think) 2.5 with Jonas's help, and
> since then have moved it between local machines as a binary. I can
> confirm that 2.4.4 will build FPC trunk (2.7.1) on ARM, and that that
> can build Lazarus trunk.

 The currently supported ABI is EABI on linux only. I do not think oabi
 still works (never tried). We also only do daily testsuite runs with
 soft fp (e.g. -Cfsoft enabled), armv5.

 Thomas