[fpc-devel] Unicode support (yet again)

cobines cobines at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 12:41:40 CEST 2011

2011/9/15 Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de>:
> If thy use Lazarus they are forced to use Unicode unless they wand to stick
> with a very old version.

Then this is a problem of Lazarus. They want to make applications with
Lazarus (which is always UTF-8?) and they are unaware of using Unicode
where they wanted to use Ansi. I don't know if in Delphi you can use
just Ansi, but if you cannot use Ansi in Lazarus then people should be
aware of it before they start using it and learn. As far as I know
there is a page on Lazarus Wiki explaining it.

Regardless if it will be utf8 or utf16 I don't think any specific
format is easier to learn than the other. You know you cannot use it
like Ansi anymore anyway and direct access to characters is gone.

--
cobines