[fpc-devel] Unicode support (yet again)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Sep 14 13:37:30 CEST 2011

On 09/14/2011 11:05 AM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> First and for all. Backwards compat dropping is not going to happen.

It already has and supposedly can't be avoided. Take a look of what
Lazarus was forced to make out of the identity of ANSIString and
UTF8String seemingly forced by FPC. e.g.:

Old programs assuming local ANSI 8 bit code retrieved from LCL GUI
components, compiled with the new version don't work (e.g. if doing
myChar := myString[3]; )

Doing My16BitString = 'my constant text containing umlauts as äöü';
provides an erroneous result.

-Michael