[fpc-devel] bounty: FPC based debugger

dmitry boyarintsev skalogryz.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 03:21:19 CEST 2011

I see no problems with the idea of creating another debugger,
especially if written in FPC.
Since there're plenty of the GDB-wrappers already!
And it's also a good option to support either ways: "over-gdb" and
"native". In fact, I've been planning to add "GDB" target into Duby,
together with native targets. In the end the purpose of the Duby is to
provide cross-platform debugging API, rather than a debugging
application.

The system part of the debugger (OS interfaces, memory access,
break-points etc) is the easiest one. Imho, the hardest part is
actually type information part.
I.e. reading/writting variables by a debugger. Just changing a
variable of "string" type (which can be shortsting, ansisting,
widesting or unicodesting), should not be direct memory changes, but
rather a function call. Is it all already in the DWARF?

Add a lack of development time to all this. And it turns-out gdb is
the best option available :)

thanks,
Dmitry

P.S. Btw, there's "debugging-mode" flag in RTL TProcess class, even
now. I'm wondering if it works at all