[fpc-devel] Unicode support (yet again)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Sep 13 21:23:06 CEST 2011

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> Hello,

[snip]

> The ansi version I would simply let it die. It's time people migrate
> to Unicode anyway. The change from ansi to utf-8 is very easy.

About the rest I will not comment. But the above certainly will not happen.

The ansistring version must remain for backwards compatibility.

Current strategy on fpc core seems to be to have 2 RTLs:

One with unicode string, one with ansistring.
They will have the same code, but will be compiled twice,
each time with a different compiler define to decide which
version it must be.

Michael.