[fpc-devel] Status and ideas about debug info (stabs, dwarf / dwar3)

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Sep 12 12:06:09 CEST 2011

On 12/09/2011 11:06, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> IMO debugging support was one of the reasons, why Kylix was based on
> Wine, and the cross-platform versions of Delphi use remote debugging
> only. For that implementation a tiny (remote) debugger interface is
> sufficient, and the IDE can implement all the language specific debug
> support.
>
> I'd be happy if somebody could tell me how to make all those "no such
> identifier in scope" messages disappear, that currently reduce
> debugging "support" to breakpoints, call stack and local variables.

IMHO that's a bit exaggerated (the last line)? I do use plenty of
watches, and never got any such message. Ok I know I can't see
properties, and I do not try to do so. That leaves still plenty of ways
to get information.

Mind, I do NOT want to play down say that the lack of property support.
Not to break an other war about how serious this is or is not. let
everyone decide for themself. But to me a statement like the above, is
simple wrong, as I do use Lazarus+gdb, and in 99% of my personal use
cases (mostly debugging the IDE itself) it has not caused an issue.
(Personally I thing such over exaggerated statements are made in some
hope, that making things look worse, would get *others* to fix them =>
another of my experiences says, that does not work at all)

Anyway, I started the topic exactly because I want the situation to be
improved, and to see what can be done.

yes, a none gdb debugger would be nice, infact it is on the list. but it
will be a lot of time till then, and even than it will require the debug
info.