[fpc-devel] Server availability

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Sep 6 13:43:32 CEST 2011

On 06 Sep 2011, at 13:24, Alexander Klenin wrote:

> Hm. This may be an issue with my provider then.
> However, the only site affected is freepascal.org, which is very
> strange.
> Will try to call the provider to investigate.

There is one known problem: the server is behind a brain dead
firewall, which drops most icmp packets (except for ping). This
includes the "fragmentation needed" packets used for path mtu
discovery (http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/rfc/rfc1191.txt).

We have enabled TCP-based mtu discovery (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4821
), but it appears to be slower. Alternatively, you can try to clamp
the maximum  segment size of all tcp connections manually: http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.mtu-mss.html
  (try 1400 or so, and work up from there). It will slightly reduce
the efficiency of your connection though (for all tcp connections,
also to other servers).

Jonas