[fpc-devel] bug report 20473: Please add a directive to define string=utf8string

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Oct 13 12:13:55 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, Sven Barth said:
> > the utf* designates the type of the default string type. And the same for
> > unix.  Maybe win32-ansi too.
>
> Ok... that you want multiple distributions per platform is clear now.
> But you would not oppose (in the case of having multiple distributions)
> a feature like Felipe suggested, do I understand that correctl?

Oh sure. If you read the text, my proposal already assumes it. But base it
on $H. {$H ansi/utf8/utf16} is good enough.

The difference is more that I don't think it will solve as much as people
think, and using this to stitch together code from different origins will
fail miserably or be unworkable.

That is in the case of multiple distributions. If the direction goes to
something unworkable, I rather forget about it, and make everything D2009+
compat.

> > The default stringtype is set on compiler startup, but can be modified
> > inside procedures with $H like behaviour.
>
> You would go as far as allowing a change of "string" on a per-procedure
> base?

Sorry, units. That was a typo.