[fpc-devel] bug report 20473: Please add a directive to define string=utf8string

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Oct 13 10:53:48 CEST 2011

On 10/13/2011 10:39 AM, Sven Barth wrote:

> When installing you can always select a custom directory though you
> can not change the version-id. E.g. you could install to
> "/lib/fpc-cpstring/2.7.1".
Of course I do know how to install FPC in another directory or how to
preserve the current installation by other means. I just wanted to
suggest that changing the version ID could help to avoid nasty hazards,
as you need to manually change the link in /usr/bin to activate a
modified version, plus the old version is automatically preserved while
installing a version with a new ID (on Linux).

> Also as far as I see the version of the PPU files is different (though
> not because of the string changes) between your version and current
> trunk, so Lazarus should trigger recompilations if you switch between
> your older 2.7.1 and a current one.

Yep, but AFAIK, currently Lazarus can't be compiled with the trunk
version and recompiling a user project with same (which forces
recompiling the LCL as you state) does not work either.

-Michael