[fpc-devel] utf-8 package in Free Pascal

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 04:15:13 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 08:48, Michael Van Canneyt
<michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> There is, again, a continuum between careful development and stangation.
>> While acknowledging great work that FPC team has done on the former,
>> I'd venture to say that is came uncomfortably close to the latter.
>
> I'd venture to disagree.
>
> Attached is a small graph from the bugtracker activity.
> As you can see, the bugfix rate remains constant, which refutes
> 'stagnation'. We do work, even if it is not so 'visible'.

As I said, I did not ever deny you work, of course you do.
Still, "steady bugfixing" and "dymanic evolution" are not quite the same,
although related.

> Now, to counter the perception of stagnation, you can help:
> Please help us working on fppkg

Looking at the bugtracker, I found a single non-assigned issue #18321,
which talks about some "webdesign" package I know nothing about.
So I where can I look at the todo-list?

> Slowly, we (mainly Joost, in fact) are converting the FPC packages to this
> new mechanism, fixing bugs as we go along. You can help by testing this, and
> converting more packages to the new fppkg.

Perhaps I can take care of a single package -- for example, numlib improvement
was discussed recently on the forum. However, I am afraid my work will
be rejected again
as was the case with fpdoc.
So I'd consider working on numlib (+ math unit, which is obviously
closely related),
if I'd get either commit access or somebody who will timely commit my patches.

--
Alexander S. Klenin