[fpc-devel] The future of fpmake

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Mar 31 14:08:34 CEST 2011

On 31 Mar 2011, at 13:29, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> 1. they are mostly generated anyway. The .fpc files are the info,
> not the
>   makefiles themselves.

I still prefer those Makefile.fpc files very much to the fpmake.pp
files. The fact that fpmake.pp files are plain Pascal code makes them
extremely flexible, but at the same time that also makes it much
harder to quickly get an overview of what they do. Sticking to the
Makefile.fpc format (or any other structured format) and then
automatically generating something else from that (be it plain
Makefiles, fpmake.pp or whatever) would make it much easier to
maintain the actual build instructions, I think. It would also make it
less likely that over time some fpmake.pp will become harder and
harder to read.

Jonas

PS: I assume that currently there already is a way to auto-generate
fpmake files like this: http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/trunk/packages/univint/fpmake.pp
  (or did you manually derive all those dependencies, or use a quickly
hacked together script to parse the uses-clauses of those particular
units?)