[fpc-devel] The future of fpmake

Darius Blaszyk dhkblaszyk at zeelandnet.nl
Wed Mar 30 21:47:43 CEST 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 9:37 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

>>> I don't think this is needed/wanted. fpmake.pp is intended to be used in tandem with fppkg, and that looks for a fpmake.pp program, not a script.
>> For FPC yes, but for standalone projects this is not the case as you mentioned. Apart from that I don't see an issue even for fppkg, other than the fact that the extension might be hardcoded, which could be modified. Please note that I'm for a more holistic approach for fpmake.
>
> Which means ?
Which means that 1) when using fpmake outside FPC we can do whatever we want (provided we do not run into a wall because of a hardcoded extension somewhere). 2) even for FPC I see no objective argument not to change the extension.

>>> (not to mention all the possible complications on Windows, probably Mac OS as well)
>> Can you name a potential issue you see by renaming the makefile to some other extension? I thought that FPC does not mind which extension you use, as long as the syntax is correct?
>
> It does not mind.
>
> Well, if you don't intend to use it for FPC, you can do all you want;
> you don't need our permission for that ?
I was not asking permission or did I? It was you who stated that there were complications. I just asked to name one. Don't get me wrong, there might be some, but I fail to see which.

Darius