[fpc-devel] String and UnicodeString and UTF8String

DaWorm daworm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 01:23:50 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Until now most users, including you, most probably don't
> realize that difference between phyiscal and logical characters, and assume
> that sizeof(char) always is 1

Oh, I'm aware of it.  But to date, I haven't had to really deal with
it in Delphi or FPC. My use of strings is either ancient legacy (from
TP/BP days) where I simply changed all references to "string" to
"shortstring" or low level Windows API code, where I'm dealing with
PChar.

I find these discussions fascinating, but as they say in the southern
US, I don't have a dog in this hunt.  Whatever the decision, I'll
probably continue to use shortstring.

Jeff.