[fpc-devel] Dwarf3 and the encoding of classes

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Wed Jan 12 12:53:01 CET 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 11:23 +0000, Martin wrote:
> On 12/01/2011 10:39, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> > That is bad news, because it seems like it that the
> > final-case-sensitivity solution will be that the case-sensitive flag is
> > used to control the behavior. But that will then break backwards
> > compatibility...
>
> The IDE can make decisions based on GDB version. So if it gets fixed
> cross platform, and I know the version...
>
> Btw, I am still trying to figure out, I've seen 3 diff notations of
> version 5.2.1-1  / 7.0.50  / 7.2-50
> So I can interpret either as:
>    Version . SubVersion [ . MinorVersion ] [ - patchlvl ]
> Or
>    Version . SubVersion ( . | - ) patchlvl  # and discard -1 in 5.2.1.-1

Well, the version I use has version 7.2.50.20110107-cvs. But those
version-numbers are a mess. Especially since Fedora in fact uses a fork
of gdb (Archer) but it has the same name. It's this fork I base my work
on. And I don't think you can detect the difference between the forked
(archer) gdb and the original one.

Maybe another way to detect this is: (After an application is loaded,
but you have to do this only once)

set case off
b MaiN
-> fails = old/no case-insensitive support = set case on (or auto)
-> works = new/working case-insensitive support = set case off

Or is that too ugly?

Joost