[fpc-devel] String and UnicodeString and UTF8String

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Jan 11 09:45:22 CET 2011

On 01/10/2011 04:27 PM, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> And what do we do if e.g. Lazarus changes opinion and goes from utf8 to
> utf16 on Windows? (e.g. the Delphi/unicode becomes the dominant influx).

The current way Lazarus works (UTF-8 in a String Type called
"ANSIString", as well with Windows as with Linux without any
auto-Conversion, introducing funny problems e.g. when just assigning a
string constant to a Widestring) does not seem very appropriate.

I feel the logical move would be to use the dynamically encoded string
type in the LCL API, but there might be some nasty hidden problems (e.g.
with var parameters).

-Michael