[fpc-devel] Determin file size - how?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Dec 15 12:55:06 CET 2011

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be schrieb:

>> Normally I use TFileStream's, which have a Size property. But I find
>> it nasty to open an file, when I only want to know its size. FPC (like
>> Delphi) lacks some basic file/directory handling functions (Size,
>> Remove, Rename...), at
>
> I think you didn't look very well in the docs.
>
> DeleteFile
> RenameFile

After I couldn't find it in the FPC docs, I looked into the D7 docs,
where many more functions are listed in "File management routines".

I understand that FPC has to implement some functions with the Delphi
names, but when most other file related functions start with "File", how
should a user know (and search for) names *ending* with "File" :-(

> I agree the filesize is missing.
>
> I will look into adding them to the documentation topics.

Thanks :-)

IMO a separation into topics "File handling" (FILE based) and "File
management" (by filename) would be a good idea. Now I also found an
topic "General File handling routines", but it seems to list only Posix
functions, not avaialble on other platforms - should read "Posix File
..." instead?

As already mentioned, I still miss platform independent versions of the
file management routines. Lazarus implements some routines, but IMO
these should become part of the RTL, not of FCL or LCL.

DoDi