[fpc-devel] New FPC target: JVM

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Aug 21 00:28:27 CEST 2011

On 21 Aug 2011, at 00:02, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-08-21 at 00:11 +0200, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>> A .NET or Dalvik backend is feasable as easy as a JVM backend. Question
>> is the use of such an code generator, without an RTL, FCL, debugger etc.

Debuggers exist (any debugger that can deal with Java byte code should work). It's true that the usefulness will largely depend on people interested in fleshing out the RTL, and possibly also an FCL. A lot of functionality can be replicated by wrapping JDK classes though.

> I think you could
> expressed yourself differently without the unmentioned negative tone.

No harm done.

> I'm really happy with Jonas hard work on this target, and want to thank
> him for all this (and other) work he did and does for fpc.

To make sure that credit is given where credit is due: I want to especially thank Paul Ishenin for his work on implementing Delphi-style "advanced records" and extending the class support with nested classes, class constants, final classes etc, because without him I would have had to implement all of that myself for this port :) And Florian/Peter for the code generator design, that made it possible to gradually add a high level code generator on top of it rather than having to completely rewrite it.

Jonas