[fpc-devel] Arm Thumb2 - Stellaris status

Geoffrey Barton mrb at periphon.net
Fri Aug 19 09:11:38 CEST 2011

On 19 Aug 2011, at 04:28, John Clymer wrote:

> Did an analysis of the Stellaris current product lineup, there are over 180 current Stellaris products on TI's selection guide.  Boiling through the FLASH and RAM availability, there are 31 unique configuratios of FLASH / SRAM between those 180 devices.  So, the case() statements in t_embed.pas will have 31 more entries to completely support the entire line of Stellaris processors (and a few more with products slated for future release).

could it not just be two numeric command line options which are used to write the relevant strings to 'linkres'? This would be future proof.

> Currently, everything is in a handful of giant arrays.  Just wondering if it would be better to switch to a record structure for the controller entries - rather than individual arrays.  (Add in a variety of STM parts and the other manufacturers, and there could easily be over 100 memory configurations in the table.)
>
> Looking at RTL support.  Currently for each ARM variant, they have a contoller unit (the controllerunitstr entry).  Inside the current controller units, registers are defined.  These registers definitions "automatically" become part of the variable space of an application.  Is the intent for ALL controller registers be provided inside the RTL ?  I would think this would be better provided by outside files.  (i.e.  "uses LM3S8962" - brings in a file containing all the 8962 register definitions.)

I agree. The ones I included in 'stellaris.pas' were enough to get the basic system working with a non-trival test and to give anybody who took it further some suggestions which I found worked ok eg. putting the registers in absolute records. Really they should all be in separate files for each peripheral, then you only need to include whichever ones are relevant to the device you are actually using.

> Having an outside file (it would be akin to a C header file - interface only specifications for the registers, and that would be it) would be much clearer than hiding the details inside a "hidden" file.  If the user wants to chase down exactly where the definition is coming from, using a non-RTL file saves the user from having to dig through the compiler source to determine where it was coming from.  (Although for a newb, it may be preferable to have them automatigically available.)

In fact I have subsequently been using the C header files for bit definitions after conversion using h2pas. This saved a lot of time.

> My suggestion would be that the register definitions come in an UNIT file that only defines registers.  The controller unit in the compiler source would only provide the bare minimum necessary to bring the system up and call PASCALMAIN.  However, if it is deemed better to have the entire register set defined inside the RTL - that would be fine too.

Units are convenient too; you can include access methods alongside the register definitions.

Geoffrey