[fpc-devel] FPC 2.6.x branched, trunk becomes 2.7.1

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Aug 5 10:39:17 CEST 2011

On 05 Aug 2011, at 03:33, Alexander Klenin wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 02:09, Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be> wrote:
>> Branching for a major release is most appropriate when trunk is in a settled
>> down/stable state. It's not intended to happen right after a number of major
>> last minute changes have been committed. Quickly committing a bunch of major
>> changes would mainly serve to delay the branching, or they might not be
>> included in the branch anyway.
>
> Does that mean that http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=19669 will
> not be committed before the release either?

I don't know whether or not it will be committed before the release, and if it's committed whether it will be merged to the fixes_2_6 branch. At first sight it doesn't look like a major change (and since it only adds code, it shouldn't influence the stability of other code), so I guess that merging in itself won't be a problem.

> So, TAChart will have to carry numlib fork until 2.6.2 ?

It's always possible. FPC releases are not based on "feature X will certainly be in it". We tried that (we were not going to do the next major release before the cpstrnew branch was finished), but it just doesn't work with a pure volunteer project.

Jonas