[fpc-devel] FPC 2.6.x branched, trunk becomes 2.7.1

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed Aug 3 20:28:08 CEST 2011

On 03/08/2011 19:01, Marcos Douglas wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Jonas Maebe<jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>  wrote:
>> Please always start from a *full* installation of the latest official release before reporting build problems. In 99.9% of the cases it solves all problems.

I had the same problem recently (data2inc) and also due to the same
problem (not a *full* installation)

And there are reasons why I don't have a full installation. I do not use
linux often enough,a and I certainly haven't got around all the new
build in installer systems.

When I first started using fpc from SVN, my fpc knowledge wasn't good
enough. And having an installation in the default location, would
*always* lead to something pointing there, and my svn version not
working, because stuff got mixed.
Of course my fault. It would be some config, I didn't know, and hadn't
fixed....

Now it's different, I can fix the fpc related config, If I need to. But
I am using a very old distribution, I have no interest in spending time
upgrading it, it still works. Neither do I want to spend time finding
out how that installer system that came with it works, and how I can
tell it to install the latest fpc version ( I have not tested, but I
would suspect it still points to whatever version it was, when I
installed the system / I usually, if I get the chance switch of all auto
updates)

I gues, I need to investigate installing the tar.gz release.... And then
immediately remove all global config files and any ppu386 in the default
path, since they have always affected my svn installations.

Well, I can't complain, if the fpc compilation isn't always smooth,
since I do not meet the requirements.

---
data2inc seems to be part of fpc - I haven't seen any 3rd party package
of this name (at least my older fedora does not offer it on it's own).

So I wonder, if it is build from pascal source, then why can't that be
part of the build process. I fit comes from somewhere else, then where from?

Martin