[fpc-devel] FPC/Lazarus Rebuild performance

Adem listmember at letterboxes.org
Sat Sep 11 07:25:03 CEST 2010

  On 2010-09-10 07:16 PM, Daniel wrote:
> This happens because the time it takes to SWITCH between one file to
> another is significant. Ending one operation (a single file transfer)
> and begining another takes a time slice. Summing up all these start
> and finish ops takes a significant time slice.
I wonder if all this means compilation/build speeds cannot be improved
much by introducing faster hardware.

To see what's happening in the bigger picture, I used 'Process Monitor'
[ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx ] and
filtered out those I believed to be irrelevant to FPC/Lazarus build
operation.

Here are the results I see on Process Monitor (An 'event' is
Create/Open/Read/Write/Delete etc.).

I am pasting summaries below hoping it helps someone identify a
bottleneck or something.

*Count of occurences by EventClass:*
File System: 324,958
Registry: 25,165
Process: 4,577

*Count of occurences by ProcessName: (Count: 12)*
ppcx64.exe: 275,003
make.exe: 27,825
rm.exe: 17,973
fpc.exe: 9,110