[fpc-devel] Parallel processing in the compiler

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 12:29:38 CEST 2010

On 5 September 2010 05:04, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

> I only commited these changes so that they don't get lost. Please review the
> preceding version, as mentioned in the Readme.

[... simply stating my observation. If there is a subversion way of
doing the same as I describe with git, it might be worth mentioning,
so others can learn how to do similar with SVN. I'm not forcing git on
anybody, simply stating how I work, in a similar situation. ]

Reading Jonas's comments and your reply above, it seems a git mirror
(or a subversion/git dual setup) would be much better suited for your
working style. git allows local commits and local branches. Ideal for
cases like "so those changes don't get lost" or braking a large set of
changes into smaller commits. The 'git gui' tool also allows you to
brake a huge amount of changes into smaller commits. Simply run the
'git gui' tool, add the changed code lines you would want in the next
commit (git allows per line adding, not just hunks or whole files),
add a commit and click commit. Now repeat, until all your changes are
in.

If changes don't relate to the current "feature" branch, simply 'git
branch <my_other_feature>' the 'git checkout <my_other_feature>' and
start committing in there. Switch back to your origin branch and
continue working. Switching branch in git doesn't loose uncommitted
changes.

When I mentioned subversion/git dual setup. I mean, use your original
svn checkout, but initialize a git repository in that same directory.
You can then use git to track local changes and local branches. when
you want to commit something, switch to the 'svn' git branch and
cherry-pick or squash your local git commits onto the 'svn' git branch
- then commit that to SubVersion as normal (one commit at a time, or
in the squashed commits case, a single "feature" change set). Then
resync your git 'svn' branch and continue working. This not normal git
usage, but it works really well if the project is in SubVersion, and
you don't want to use a full-blown 'git-svn' mirror. Simply allow git
to track your local changes, until such time as you can commit them to
SubVersion.

More details on git mirrors of FPC and links to git help.
   http://wiki.freepascal.org/git_mirrors

Just my 2c worth. Use it or ignore it.

  - Graeme -