[fpc-devel] Alternative parsers

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Oct 20 12:26:20 CEST 2010

In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:
> > The frontend would need to ban lots of syntax, practically creating a new C++
> Yep. That is why it would be essential to use the original GNU
> preprocessor to keep the "pseudo c++" frontent for FPC as small as
> possible. Macros can do some magic tricks and might help to translate
> real c++ to "pseudo c++" in some place. Of course there is lots of stuff
> that can't be ported (such as multiple inheritance).

macros do nothing more than substitution, which is not a problem since you
can control the frontend anyway. The problem is the connection of the
frontend with backend and with Pascal.

I already assumed the frontend would be as perfect as could be. If the
frontend is assumed perfect, there is nothing you can "fix" with macros.

IMHO you are both just trying to weasel out of the discussion, by keeping
both goals and implementation principles deliberately vague.

Keep in mind that I actually am a proponent of multiple frontends (I've
wanted a M2 version for over 10 years now, but unfortunately I'm quite
realistic), I just don't like Hans-Peter's approach (which is essentially
not cooperating, and just throw raw patches to core, and then trying to
blackmail core into accepting them by raising noise on the maillists)

The first principle of working in a team is assuming that all code is good,
unless proven otherwise.