[fpc-devel] Alternative parsers

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Oct 20 10:53:02 CEST 2010

In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:

> > As said thousands of times, it still will be different.
> Of course I do know this. (I should have said "a kind of c++" to be more
> accurate)
>
> It would need to a kind of different/incompatible/propriety  c++
> language that could only live in #ifdefs and with help of precompiler
> macros, if you want to be able to compile the source file with a c++
> compiler.

> But this _could_ be used to create files that can be used as well in c++
> projects as in Pascal projects and thus _could_ provide a more efficient
> way to use (some ) existing c++ than completely re-coding it in Pascal.

Essentially you haven't answered my concern, just spread more vaguery
around, as usual.

Again: Combining two languages into one compiler doesn't magically make them
interoperable. And the only existing example doesn't exactly have a crack
record on using C++ FROM Delphi (the otherway around is different, I'm told,
not elegant, but doable).

Basically it would mean implementing the innerards of C++ into the whole
existing (pascal) compiler too, so that the pascal compiler can access C++
objects, not just a two bit extra parser. (which is also not so simple as it
sounds, since probably backends mod to execute C++ in a compliant way are
also possible).

Please stop echoing sentiment without any technical underpinnings.