[fpc-devel] Alternative parsers

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Oct 20 01:09:56 CEST 2010

Michael Van Canneyt schrieb:

> Sorry, I was talking about classes. I don't use objects from TP;
> I consider them deprecated.

I use Object in the semantic stuff, just to avoid try-finally blocks. As
long as Class objects must reside on the heap, Object still has advantages.

> Besides my personal opinion, the compiler already uses classes for some
> other things, and it's not very desirable to mix the two concepts.
>
>>> It sounds like you give us little credit.
>> Sorry for that and thanks you for your work.
>> But, by the same token, don't you think that you also give a little
>> credit to
>> Hans' work? Maybe his reasons are also good?
>
> As I explained in another mail, I think he tries too much too soon.

I only tried to contribute the best of my education and knowledge,
resulting from decades of code analysis and redesign. I admit that my
coding style, that evolved in that time, is partially incompatible with
certain "standards" - but only for good reasons.

> First do some small and desired things, to build up credibility. Check
> the bugtracker for things to do. You'll be invited on the core team by
> itself if you do a good job. Then take on the big tasks.

That's a very dangerous proposition. I've encountered several projects
where the maintainers could not fix certain bugs, and left these to
others. When such a fix required restructuring of the code, it typically
is rejected, because the maintainers don't understand it. A plenty of
such bugs will typically disappear as a sideeffect of a general refactoring.

Please note that I do *not* say that FPC already is in such a state...

DoDi