[fpc-devel] Alternative parsers

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 17:06:53 CEST 2010

On Tuesday, 19. October 2010 16.42:19 Alexander Klenin wrote:

> > Do you remember the factor 10 compiling speed advangage of Delphi7
> > compared with FPC 2.4?
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/fpc-devel@lists.freepascal.org/msg19068.html
>
> I do. I also remember that one of the goals of DoDi's previous set of
> refactorings
> was to address that discrepancy.
> And since they were rejected, FPC will continue to be slower than Delphi.
> This is a typical showcase for the premature micro-optimization --
> for a few percentages of speed in the short term,
> you pay in reduced code maintainability,
> which precludes high-level optimizations in the long term.

IIRC one of the goals are to enable muti threaded compiling. I have a horror
from that scenario. It is difficult enough to produce a stable single
threaded compiler. I can't believe that it is possible to make a good multi
core aware compiler without a team of highest skilled fulltime developers
working several years...

Martin