[fpc-devel] Patches

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Oct 1 18:51:44 CEST 2010

Michael Van Canneyt schrieb:

>> Every external tool has to drag in all the units, that initialize the
>> used global variables, regardless of their placement in globals.pas or
>> other units. Consequently all global variables should reside in those
>> units, that contain their initialization code. Doing so may increase
>> the number of units, that have to be used in *all* other units, be
>> internal or external, but it would provide the supposed consistency of
>> the unit dependencies - automagically, with no need for further
>> considerations or discussions.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this exactly the opposite of what you
> were doing, i.e. putting all such variables in globals.pas ?

I feel an urgent need to clarify what we are talking about :-(

When you (everybody, please) inspect the NoGlobals branch, in detail the
*release candidate* (around r15858, see README.txt), then I only had
moved global variables *out* of globals.pas. This was my initial
approach, that should be discussed. Later revisions stem from various
attempts to identify and cure the ppudump problem.

DoDi