[fpc-devel] Interface scope incompatibility with Delphi

Dimitri Smits smitco at telenet.be
Thu Nov 11 18:24:29 CET 2010

----- "Graeme Geldenhuys" <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> schreef:

> Hi,
>
> Attached is a simple console application that outputs a hierarchy of
> log
> information. Under Delphi 7 we used to use a TInterfacedObject
> descendant
> to track the call stack. This same trick was very handy for changing
> and
> restoring the mouse cursor too.

I still use that trick daily in Delphi: the cursor handling stuff, that is.
It makes it possible to keep the code readable without cluttering it with extra (explicit) try/finally and try/except blocks.

what I DON'T do is use it like in your example, Graeme. I always assign the result to a local variable, which goes out of scope in an implicit finally block at method-exit. Haven't tried if this does (not) work in fpc though.

as for the codesite stuff, there is an open source (& free as in beer) variant for that as well with a Delphi interface. Maybe it can be made portable as well to fpc and x-platform.

http://tracetool.sourceforge.net/

kind regards,
Dimitri Smits