[fpc-devel] Syntax problem with function result

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Wed Jul 28 23:18:39 CEST 2010

Op Wed, 28 Jul 2010, schreef Hans-Peter Diettrich:

> Daniël Mantione schrieb:
>
>> If I understand it well this patch will disable not only the fpc
>> externsion:
>>
>> writeln(name_of_function);
>>
>> ... but also the standard Pascal:
>>
>> name_of_function:=value;
>>
>> Why would we want to disable the standard Pascal solution?
>> Why not disable the Borland "result" extention?
>
> TP mode can be handled differently from the other modes, never affected by
> this option. But this should be mentioned in the documentation, else some
> people may wonder why the option doesn't work in their legacy code.

I wasn't talking about legacy code. I wasn't talking about TP mode either.
I was talking about new code. Why not disable the "result" extension?
Delphi is legacy anyway so there is no need anymore to promote its
flaws.

To be clear: I am not proposing disabling the "result" extension. I'm just
applying the same reasoning.

Daniël