[fpc-devel] Unit loading overhead

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sat Jul 17 18:53:09 CEST 2010

On 17 Jul 2010, at 18:46, Micha Nelissen wrote:

> Jonas Maebe wrote:
>> Total memory usage barely changes (from 297MB to 299MB). I guess it's no
>
> For the compiler use case .. ;-) Perhaps the compiler creates a lot of same sized blocks, while other (smaller) applications allocate many different sizes; say use a lot of different sizes classes.

It seems more likely to me that large applications would contain more different-sized classes than small applications. At least the compiler contains a lot of differently-sized memory structures.

> Do you mean to change this in heap.inc or in the compiler startup?

In heap.inc.

> 256kB on 297MB isn't much; but if a program has typical memory use of e.g. 3MB it is significant ;-).

They could still change it in their application's startup code. We could also set a different default for the embedded rtl.

Jonas