[fpc-devel] debug info for ^TObject vs just TObject

Martin fpc at mfriebe.de
Thu Dec 16 00:29:43 CET 2010

On 15/12/2010 23:19, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2010, at 00:06, Martin wrote:
>
>> yeah i looked at the internals (gdb "maint print type") and they are indeed different.
>> It's gdb, gdb only show one "^" OR "&" at a time =>  never mind how many lvls of pointer there are.
>>
>> gdb is real fun..... ;)
> One reason might be that almost nobody in the Pascal community files bug reports against it.
It also applies to "normal" pointer to pointer to pointer ...
PByte
PPByte

and similar stuff does exist in c => though I haven't tested what it
does there...

But I have the feeling it is intention.

If I go

WhatIs Symbol
WhatIs ReturnedType

I can get each and every level.
ptype on the other hand, just seems to tell me, the final type, and if
there is any pointer anywhere involved...

Martin