[fpc-devel] NoGlobals branch

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Aug 19 22:33:11 CEST 2010

Jonas Maebe schrieb:

> Please polish and finish one self-contained part, get that reviewed and
> merged into trunk, and then continue (or use different branches,
> although then you will have to merge things and resolve conflicts). In
> particular, do not concurrently change different things in one branch
> (mixing fixes and/or new features in your refactoring, or mixing
> different kinds of refactoring that can also be done independently),
> because that makes it harder to review the code and less likely to get
> anything merged.

Revision 15852 can be considered the release candidate of the NoGlobals
branch, tested on/for Windows (x86 32/64 bit). A readme file was added
with rev. 15858. A tag could be created for this revision...

Even if the code generation has not been touched, other targets still
may deserve minor updates, related to the changed types of some
previously global variables (pointers instead of direct references). I
don't know how to test that myself, please inform me of any such problems.

Such complications can be eliminated by a refactoring of the targets,
into dedicated classes. This can be done in the same branch, because the
existing units (in the target directories) have conflicting names, and
consequently must be replaced by new unit trees - something similar to
the systems implementation.

DoDi