[fpc-devel] OO rewrite - technical questions

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Aug 10 10:23:18 CEST 2010

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, Michael Schnell wrote:

> On 07/20/2010 02:48 PM, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>>
>> I don't see it there (to the extent that there is an official win32 abi
>> document; it seems that information is spread over several msdn pages that
>> don't even link to each other).
>>
>> Please stop speculating that certain things "should be documented" or
>> "should work" and post links to the official documents. Sending us off on
>> wild goose chases does not help.
> This document
>
> http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/tls.pdf
>
> explicitly states that the implementation of the thrdeadvar needs to be part
> of the ABI of the compiler. (Thanks to Vinzent Höfler to point me to this
> file).

This is an extension to C which is specific to GCC; it is in no way an
official spec except maybe for GCC (and probably linux-only, at that).
Microsoft for example doesn't use ELF; as I understand his remark, Jonas
wanted an official Microsoft spec.

Other than that, it's of course useful to know.

Michael.