[fpc-devel] Proposal: Enhanced replacement for assignment operators

"Vinzent Höfler" JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Sun Aug 8 10:08:53 CEST 2010

Alexander Klenin <klenin at gmail.com>:

> As I already said in this thread, "lazy typing" is a fallacious argument.
> The whole history of high-level programming languages may be summarized
> as "lazy typing advancements".

Surely not. But that's a different matter.

> > What is wrong with :
> >
> > MyObj := SomeFunctionReturningObject(param1, param2);
> > MyObj.PointArrayField[i] := MyObj.PointArrayField[i] +
> >  FunctionReturningPointOffset(param)
>
> What's wrong with rewriting it in assembler?

Oh, come on. Now you're overreacting. :D

> It can be done, and it will work at first.
> But as the project grows, code bloat becomes an impediment.
> 100 vs 200 lines of code is insignificant,
> but 500000 vs 1000000 is a serious difference.

Considering that about 35% - 50% of our codebase here simply consists of comments, what do you make of that? You could cut the line count by two just by removing all the comments. They don't have any semantics anyway.

Vinzent.

--
GMX DSL SOMMER-SPECIAL: Surf & Phone Flat 16.000 für nur 19,99 ¿/mtl.!*
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl