[fpc-devel] Proposal: Enhanced replacement for assignment operators

"Vinzent Höfler" JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Fri Aug 6 19:24:16 CEST 2010

Marc Weustink <marc.weustink at cuperus.nl>:

> Martin wrote:
> > And, since I also refuse to learn from the faults of others, some
> > sarcasm in the end:
> > begin end is awfull amount of typing => can we replace it with something
> > shorter? "{" is unfortunately taken, but why need an actual char => just
> > identify a block, by indenting each line of the block, much less
> > clutter, all the extra begin/end can go....
>
> then you have to type all those extra spaces

In strings the same char works for the beginning and the end of the string, so why have two different characters at all? You could use "%" instead.

Sometimes I really wonder if the buddies K&R when designing C actually looked at the keyboard and tried to assign a meaning to each special character they found there. Obviously, they seem to have missed "$". Probably this one was either too BASIC or too "establishment".

Vinzent.