[fpc-devel] buildfaq

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Aug 6 16:50:28 CEST 2010

Henry Vermaak schrieb:

>>> Build systems seem to be a constant itch.  See a list here:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_build_automation_software
>> Shouldn't we add FPC to that list?
>
> No, because fpc is a compiler, but we can add fpcmake and fpmake.

or Lazarus, or FP(?). FPC already introduces the principle, to use an
single source file for an entire project, and directories dedicated to
specific targets. The source file specifies the output type (app/lib),
and command line options select the target. What does a build system
need more[1], apart from these options?

[1] Well, sometimes a "--build" switch would be nice, to replace a "make
clean".

> I really don't have a clue what you mean.  The list shows build
> automation software.  A lot of those are platform independent and
> language dependant.  What does this have to do with Basic/Java/.Net?

For these languages no build system is required, because the same code
runs on every (supported) platform.

> Gcc/libc is probably the most cross platform compiler/rtl, since you
> won't have a kernel if gcc isn't ported, and you won't have a
> userspace if libc isn't ported.

Both gcc and libc can be replaced by other tools and libraries, e.g. by
something like FPC and its RTL, only for C instead of Pascal. People
already used Delphi for building an OS, with some tweaks to the RTL.

DoDi