[fpc-devel] buildfaq

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Wed Aug 4 11:26:13 CEST 2010

Am 04.08.2010 04:34, schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
> 4) How does FPC handle different targets? IMO every target is
> implemented in a specific executable, so how does pp or fpc proceed when
> it is invoked with an target specifier, that it cannot handle itself?

fpc is only a wrapper, it tries to find the right compiler.

> In
> the worst case multiple (make and install) steps are required, until the
> 2.5 sources can be compiled by a 2.4 version - including all the RTL
> stuff. Can we get some more version compatibility?

Just install lastest release lazarus and lastest release fpc: to debug
the compiler etc. you can use a compiler compiled with 2.2.4. To test
full builds, just use the 2.4.0 compiler. With some shell or batch
scripts adapted to your needs, this is quite easy.