[fpc-devel] FPC 2.3.1 seems a mixed mess with Unicode support

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Thu Sep 17 11:13:16 CEST 2009

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara het geskryf:

> Yes. RTLString would be just an alias to UnicodeString in win32 and
> UTF8String in unixes

Bad news for Michael. :-) We would have to have serious documentation on
all the string types supported by FPC - I'm loosing count!  We would
also need a nice big table showing all the "alias" strings and what they
really mean on each platform.

If I sometimes compare Java's string handling and types to FPC's Object
Pascal implementation - I wonder if we as Object Pascal developers have
got nuts! :-) Java's string handling seems so simple, even with Unicode
(or not) support.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/