[fpc-devel] FPC 2.3.1 seems a mixed mess with Unicode support

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Tue Sep 15 13:34:14 CEST 2009

Florian Klaempfl het geskryf:

> Then you shouldn't cry if a release candidate breaks your stuff :)

I'm not crying. I go through this process on every new FPC release. It's
part of my job. :-)

> We can only fix stuff we know about.

And I only know about things (issues) when I get our code ready for a
new release. ;-)

As I said, before I used to stay compatible with "unstable" FPC
releases, but that was just way to much work. Code constantly broke
etc... Now I do this just before a new release, when the "FPC release
candidate" is a lot more stable.

> Fill bug reports if you need and use it.

I'll start filing them - as long as Vincent doesn't get on my case
again. ;-)

>> -----------------------------
>> program test2;
>>
>> {$mode objfpc}{$H+}
>> uses
>>   Classes, SysUtils;
>>
>> var
>>   MyChar: Char;
>>   MyString: UnicodeString;
>> begin
>>   MyString := '世界您好';
>>   MyChar := MyString[1];
>>   writeln(MyChar);
>> end.
>
> BTW: This is UCS coding style as well ;)

Even worse then! FPC is not Unicode or UCS-2 compatible.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/