[fpc-devel] FPC 2.3.1 seems a mixed mess with Unicode support

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Tue Sep 15 11:32:30 CEST 2009

Hi,

I reviewing the various errors that I am experiencing with tiOPF and FPC
2.3.1. The last count was 130+ errors! Considering that there was under
10 errors with FPC 2.2.5 and tiOPF, it seems a lot in FPC has changed.

Anyway, there are a few places in tiOPF code that has been IFDEF'ed
UNICODE for D2009+ support. tiOPF doesn't support Delphi 2009+ Unicode
strings yet, we just earmarked some code for future reference.

As far as I know FPC doesn't have Unicode support like Delphi 2009+ has.
Yet, when I query a WideString property, the RTTI functions now return
tkUString. tkUString is the Delphi Unicode string - but FPC doesn't
support that yet? So why is it in FPC 2.3.1 (the next release candidate)?

This is why I say FPC is now a mixed mess. RTTI hints that Unicode is
supported (like Delphi), but other areas clearly show that FPC doesn't
have Unicode support - like in Variants. Also Delphi doesn't have
tkUChar, but FPC does.

PS:
I can't remember what FPC 2.2.5's RTTI type function returned for a
WideString. I think it was simply tkString or tkLString.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/