[fpc-devel] comparing methods

Nino Luciani nino at silvermono.co.za
Thu Sep 10 19:56:02 CEST 2009

On Thursday 10 September 2009 17:52:44 Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> Ivo Steinmann schrieb:
> > 1. Using =nil or Assigned should result in the same.
>
> Afaik not, this was one of the reasons for assigned.

I have always used Assigned() to test whether a pointer is 'valid' or is nil.
Thus Assiged() should return False if pointer is nil?

procedure Test;
var
  myPtr : PChar;

begin
  // Pointer variables are not set to nil by default
  if Assigned(myPtr) then
    ShowMessage('myPtr is not nil')
  else
    ShowMessage('myPtr is nil');

  // So we must set them to nil to be sure that they are undefined
  myPtr := Nil;
  if Assigned(myPtr) then
   ShowMessage('myPtr is still not nil')
  else