[fpc-devel] SqlDB + Firebird application doesn't run on new Ubuntu installation

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 21:42:24 CET 2009

2009/11/26 Joost van der Sluis <joost at cnoc.nl>:

> As I see it it's a Ubuntu-bug. They are too strict on their packages
> rules, because this does not apply to Firebird.

I was told that this is not just a Ubuntu issue though - but I could
only test with Ubuntu because that is what we use in our company. Also
considering that Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distro for some time
- it should be ok to cater for them. The end result is what is
important - less issues for the end-user, which would not really care
or know about the technical reasons why there are versioned and
unversioned library symlinks. They installed the Firebird v2 client
library as mentioned in the prerequisites document of the app, so
should not be expected to still go fiddle with symbolic links which
require root access too.

> Besides, for fpc this is a nightmare to maintain, because we have to
> search for all versions of a specific library.

Why? I'm only mentioning Firebird. And from what I can see, you only
need to look for major version numbers of libraries in this case, not
every minor number. FPC already checks for the very outdated
'libgds.so', so why the issue with 'libfbclient.so.2'?

> Offcourse, a patch is welcome.

I'll supply a patch tomorrow... When I'm back at work tomorrow, I'll
also take a look at the initialize function you an Michael mentioned,
to see if I can improve anything from the application side.

>From the application side (well in our case), the application can
switch at runtime between various database backends because the
application doesn't actually do the database communication, it's the
job of the OPF framework we use. Our application simply supplies the
connection string: database server location, database name, username &
password.

  - Graeme -