[fpc-devel] LLVM Backend?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Nov 17 08:35:23 CET 2009

On 17 Nov 2009, at 08:18, Vincent Snijders wrote:

> Jonas Maebe schreef:
>> And as mentioned before, it's with the stress on "game": the results on that site depend on almost as much on the implementation effort that people have put in optimizing the source code for "their" language as it does on the compiler.
>
> And:
> If you look at CPU secs, then the factor is 3 at most. What helps the C++ programs most is that they use 4 cores more, the fpc programs are mostly singlethreaded. LLVM doesn't help to solve this (AFAIK).

I don't think that LLVM contains an auto paralleliser at this time (not for SIMD, nor for multiple threads). Anyway, the above is an example of what I mentioned earlier (in the quoted text at the top of this message), since it's of course perfectly possible to also write multi-threaded versions using FPC.

Jonas