cpstrnew branch (was Re: [fpc-devel] Freepascal 2.4.0rc1 released)

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at mastermaths.co.za
Wed Nov 11 08:50:12 CET 2009

Martin Schreiber wrote:
> It supports now Linux x86-64. I used about 110 hours for the adaption. Problem
> is gdb and dwarf on x86-64 (display of var parameters) and freezing of the
> application if compiled with -gl in case of an exception. I can't understand
> that Lazarus lives with this since years.

[a bit off topic I guess]

fpGUI and as far as I know Lazarus has no problems with the -gl compiler
parameter and 64-bit platforms. I can definitely vouch for fpGUI in this
regard, because I always use -gl and have used 64-bit FPC for the last
3-4 months. So your problem seems to be an issue in MSEgui, not a
general compiler issue.

As for the 'var parameter' issue. I do notice that it displays the
address instead of value which is weird. Then again, I must admit that I
don't use GDB much to debuging my applications. I use the tiLog units
from tiOPF project (seeing that most of my apps are tiOPF based) and can
log to Console, File, GUI Log Window etc... tiOPF's log support are
multi-threaded, can be cached to not hinder app performance and has
various "log types" which can be toggled at compile time or runtime to
filter what is logged or not.

I personally find the tiOPF log support a lot more handy and reliable
than GDB. At least this applies to my projects I work on, your mileage
may vary.

I still need to investigate the DebugIntf unit and the GUI debug server
idea. It looks promising.

> I asked in the MSEide newsgroup about the interest in 64 bit, the result was
> near zero.

Eventually all desktop OSes will move to 64bit. So want it or not, it is
going to be required at some point. :)

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/