[fpc-devel] LLVM Backend?

Samuel Crow samuraileumas at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 10 19:28:19 CET 2009

Hello,

I'd like to help with the experimental LLVM backend if anyone is interested.  It's been years since I've used Pascal though, so perhaps my familiarity with C and C++ on the LLVM end will be beneficial.

While we're on the subject, LLVM has a very powerful optimizer that, when used in conjunction with Mono, speeded up execution time of calculations quite substantially.  I thought I read somewhere on the roadmap of using Static Single Assignment-related optimizations being needed on FPC.  LLVM does all of those optimizations quite naturally since its instruction set uses SSA throughout.

My reason for wanting to help is that I'm already involved in a project for bringing an old version of BASIC up to date from the days of the Amiga computer.  The member of our team responsible for writing the runtime library is using Delphi but the parser writer and I want to run it on any LLVM-supported platform.  Thus enters FPC into the scene.

If there's anything I can do to help, please reply on the list or drop me a private email.

--Sam Crow