[fpc-devel] Save the current FPC UnicodeString!

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 15:05:37 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Florian Klaempfl
<florian at freepascal.org> wrote:

>> - There is only one encoding in MSEgui framework, it is the same on all
>> platforms.
>
> Which is performance wise neither a good decision.

Could be, if are writing a specialized command line tool or something like that.

But for GUI software the conversion speed impact is tiny, and the
head-ache caused be a string type whose encoding is not know is by far
much worse. Tons of string related code will stop working and need to
be adapted at the gain of a couple of microseconds.

I don't see why FPC is going in the contrary direction of most of it's
users and offering the contrary of what is desired (= fixed encoding
strings). Sure you can claim you know better then us what is good for
our software, but I don't see how that will end up well.

Further Pascal has always been very easy to use, but now we make it
harder to use to gain a couple of CPU clocks, while the global
tendency in the world is the opposite. Most inovations out there are
designed to make software easier to build, not more performant.
Garbage Collection for example, Java's virtual environment, etc.
Because it is more important to be easier to use then being high
performant for the vast majority of uses. Now is any one pushing into
harder to use software but more performant? Does it make sense to do
such a thing?

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho