[fpc-devel] FPCUnit problem - do we fix or rewrite?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 19 15:39:51 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Dean Zobec <dean.zobec at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Setup and Teardown run only once for a set of tests goes against the
> philosophy of unit testing actually, as violates the priciple that all
> the unit tests should be independent from each other.

The tests in tiOPF are independent of each other, but running some
800+ database related tests where each one creates and destroys a DB
connections causes the tests to slow down by a *huge* magnitude. The
"SetupOnce" and "TearDownOnce" was introduced in DUnit2  to setup and
destroy a DB connection per persistence layer (ADO, Oracle, etc.) and
greatly increased the time required to run all the tests. I tried to
accomplish the same with the TestDecorator, but with a nested test
hierarchy (4 or 5 levels deep), TestDecorator doesn't behave as
expected and the "SetupOnce" and "TearDownOnce" never got fired. I
tried to hack the test suite to get most of the tests to run, but as
the unit test output shows, by hack causes other issues and is not a
real solution.

> I'm sorry but I have no spare time at the moment to participate in any
> serious development process, so I can only take a look from time to time

Thanks for popping though.  :-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -