[fpc-devel] Problems using a new ld-version

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue May 19 14:42:09 CEST 2009

On 19 May 2009, at 14:04, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

> But another issue is that it always complains while compiling:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: link.res contains output sections; did you
> forget -T?

This is a new warning that was added to ld.

> What does it mean? Does fpc something special with output sections in
> link.res?

FPC puts a linker script in link.res, and this linker script specifies
(a.o.) output sections.

> And where's -T for?

It's to specify a linker script to ld. If you put a linker script in
link.res, then it gets "appended" to the internal default ld linker
script. If you specify it with -T, then it completely overrides the
default linker script. As far as I know, ld has always behaved this
way. The warning was added because you seldom want to append your own
linker script to the default one.

However, I don't know whether it's intentional or not that FPC does
not override ld's default internal linker script, so I'm not changing
this.

Jonas