[fpc-devel] Ref documentation doesn't mention "deprecated" keyword

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Jun 1 11:15:42 CEST 2009

In our previous episode, Daniël Mantione said:
> > How do you mark a unit as deprecated?
> > In the user.pdf I have seen many references to units being deprecated
> > (eg: graph, oldlinux, etc), but I have only seen that being mentioned
> > in the documentation. There doesn't seem to be any compiler reference
> > or deprecated keyword marking that unit as deprecated. Or I clearly
> > missed something. ;-)
>
> There is a distinction between legacy & deprecated. I.e. Graph remains a
> supported unit. It may not be the best idea for new code, but there is no
> recommendation against using it.

It is also more a hint that something is going on than a final precisely
described verdict.

Like while e.g. unit libc is deprecated (stronger, IMHO never was anything
else), but I don't have plans to remove it as long as it is usable and
maintainable.  I just want to avoid that people grep the sources, find calls
there and start using it.