[fpc-devel] ref,user and prog in chm format (updated)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Thu Jul 30 20:18:10 CEST 2009

Marco van de Voort wrote:

> Depacking a html zip on a slow machine takes over tens of minutes already.
> 7zip would make it worse.

Hey, it's quicker than compiling FPC. ;-)

> The whole idea is to get rid of the depacked files all together, and a solid
> archive is useless as help format.

True, but I thought I would mention that I used solid archive mode (optional of course) simply so that it could be compared to .tar.gz which is also a solid archive.

> Maybe. Just provide a FPC implementation of the depacker for use in the
> various installers, and we can test with it.

I remember looking into this about a year ago. I used Total Commander with the 7-zip plugin, which is written in Delphi. And yes, it's a native pascal implementation, not a wrapper to the 7-zip .dll's.

I'll see if I can track down the code and see what open source license was used.

> .tar.gz's are solid in a way too, so that is no surpise in this case.

Not everybody has fast internet connections and others like me, only have a certain amount of bandwidth available in 30 days. So I would take the extra 3 minutes unpacking the archive any day over the size (11MB vs 1.9MB is a huge difference). But yes, I get what you are saying about getting rid on unpacked help altogether.

Regards,
 - Graeme -